Now What? A Guide to the Gifts and Challenges of Aging
A guide for aging people and their caregivers
“Now what?” Millions of us ask this question as we, or our parents or grandparents, suddenly face an age-related challenge. We need fast answers. In this book, experts provide practical advice, including how to form a caregiving team, ensure home and online safety, maintain mobility and support independence. The writers also emphasize the gifts of aging, including deepened relationships and new opportunities to give back to our communities. The book is written so that aging individuals, their families and caregivers can read it and find solutions together.
Praise for Now What? A Guide to the Gifts and Challenges of Aging
“An amazing feature of this volume is its ability to address both caregivers and those in need of support, fellowship and aid to improve quality of life. … You will be so much better prepared to live a full life more sagely and enjoyably with less unnecessary worry, and guide others in the process as well.”
Robert J. Wicks, author and counselor who advises at-risk groups worldwide on resilient living
“A comprehensive how-to manual for successful aging and living a full life.”
Wayne Baker, Center for Positive Organizations at the University of Michigan Ross School of Business.
“I recommend that churches and community groups give two books to each family-one for the senior and one for a friend or relative-so that an entire family can read this book together.”
Lucille Sider, author, clergywoman and psychologist
“So many books for caregivers are too heavy to quickly scan and understand, and this one is different: precise and easy to apply.”
Daphne Johnston, founder of the Respite for All Foundation
Contact us at [email protected] to learn more about:
- How to place bulk orders for the book
- Get details about discounts, shipping rates and event ideas.
- How to order modified editions of the book
- Planning an event or a group read? Get specially made copies of Now What? with your logo on the cover or additional resources inside specifically for your community.
- Provide feedback for future editions of the book
- Now What? is designed to serve your community. Do you have an idea or suggestion for future updates? Let us know how the book could be even more helpful to you.
- Ideas for using Now What? in community outreach programs in your region
- This book was created due to the efforts of the Agencies United for Healthy Aging collaborative in Detroit, Michigan. This group knows how to engage community partners! Get in touch for ideas and discussion about potential ways to use this book in your community.
Topics covered in the book include:
- You Are Not Alone: Connecting in healthy ways with our community
- Our Allies: Organizing a successful team
- Our Gifts: All of us have strengths that give our lives meaning
- Our Service: Using our unique talents to create meaningful change
- Saging, Not Aging: A transcultural perspective on our gifts as we age
- Going Online: Safety connecting with friends and family on social media
- Caring for Our Caregivers: More than 50 million Americans devote their lives to our care
- Connecting with a Congregation: Joining a congregation is a healthy step
- Mobility Matters! Should we stop driving? And, if we do, what now?
- Home Safe Home: Making sure “home” equals “healthy”
- Emergency Preparedness: A 10-point safety list to help you sleep soundly
- Don’t Throw that Away! Downsizing and the challenges of hoarding
- Hidden Challenges and Helplines: Identifying easily overlooked issues before they become crises
- A Trip to the Doctor: Plan ahead to make the most of your healthcare team
- Directing Our Care: Advance directives, power of attorney, living wills and DNRs
- Enjoying Life: Having fun is healthy!
- What Is Hospice Care? Finding comfort and peace at the end of life